Blog Posts Assignment Guidelines
Grading: Blog Posts (✓+, ✓, ✓- for first 2 posts; 100 / 20 points for each blog post )
You will be required to write blog posts throughout the semester. Each blog post should utilize the analytical, reading, and writing skills you are developing in this course. Each blog post will focus on various digital topics or technology assigned throughout the semester. The first two blog posts will not be formally grade with point values. The remaining blog posts will be. Some of your blog posts will be graded through another assignment (for example, the Technology Autobiography).
Each week, everyone will be assigned a role as either Writer, Responder, or Searcher.
- Writer: write a blog post on the readings for that week
- Responder: comment on blog posts
- Searcher: search for related online resources about that weeks topic and comment on course blog
Five Analytical Moves
For these blog posts, you should use the Five Analytical Moves discussed in Writing Analytically to:
- Suspend Judgment
- Define significant parts and how they are related
- Make the implicit explicit
- Look for patterns of repetition and contrast and for anomalies
- Formulate questions and explanations
Utilize the various strategies in the Writing Analytically book to critically and thoughtfully analyze these different resources and provide your written response about them. Remember, writing is not about providing answers or telling me what I want to hear, but rather a means of thinking, questioning, engaging, and communicating. Your writing should reflect how you engaged with a particular resource.
Blog Post Guidelines:
EFF’s Blogger’s FAQ on Student Blogging has some good information. It includes information for both high school and college students: https://www.eff.org/issues/bloggers/legal/students.
A ‘very good’ blog post for this course will (i.e., what the blog post will be graded on):
- Summarize the information presented from the resource and how it pertains to a topic.
- Analyze/evaluate (react to, identify strands, find problems or contradictions with, give strengths of, explain why you agree or disagree with, etc.) with the resource.
- Synthesize (place in relation to, bring together themes with, relate to other resources) that resource to other topics/discussions/readings from the course.
- Engage thoughtfully, critically and originally with one or more of the course topics.
- Display a mastery of close reading and analytic skills in engaging with resources.
- Be presented with a clear sense of order and organization and with no spelling and grammar mistakes.
- Meet the length requirement: between 250-350 words for the first four posts; up to 600 words for the remaining posts.
- Utilize appropriate categories and tags.
- Categories = ‘FYS142’ and ‘Blog Post’
- Tags = 2 or 3 keywords that describe the blog content
- Be properly cited using APA style. Include the proper bibliographic citation at the end of your blog post.
Blog Post Assignments
- For Blog Post #1, use the prompts for the Digital Activity to create your domain.
- For Blog Post #2, use the above guidelines to write a post on the Watters and Rikard readings.
- Blog Post #3 for week 3, Historical Perspectives.